Wednesday 26 August 2015

Project 2 Etched Glasses

Hi

Finally finished the mugs, 11 so far and I have only managed to damage the paint on one of them which I shall repair, typically it was the red spray that got a scratch through it but once the Rub n Buff arrives I shall try that on it.



Got to thinking about what I wrote about the difficulty in wrapping a resist around a curved object, not just the curve around a cup or glass but a 3 dimensional curve both around and up and down and thought it can't be that difficult and as I have had a request for a glass for one of the lads on my ship I thought I'd give it a go.

I used the curviest glass I could find.

Doesn't look that curved but its enough for me.
I wanted to put lettering all the way around so I scribed a line both above and below at 30mm depth where the lettering will go between.

I then needed the circumference of the glass at both lines.



Then using C=2πr I was able to work out the circumference at both level, I could then have drawn out the curve on paper to make the template but that's what the computers for.

I tried to measure the depth of the curve required and put a square to the glass and measured across but only got a couple of mil measurement so in the end I winged it, it took the second attempt to get the correct curve, I wrapped the first cut and it twisted a bit so tried again.


Once happy I typed in the text using the curved text tool so that it followed the shape of the curve.


Then I sent it to the cutter and weeded.


I double checked it on the glass before sticking then lined it up and very carefully applied it.



Not a bad fit, the first one I tried had a lot of wrinkles in but this one fit great, the gap at the back was caused by not taking into consideration the curve when I measured out, I should have added a few mil.

Once I had this in place I thought I would do a second one a little deeper and shorter on the glass and as its my 22nd wedding anniversary today I thought it would be nice surprise to make one for Lynne.

As an experiment I thought I would make one as if the glass had just the one curve and see how much it went out of shape when applying.


So a bit deeper at 50 mm and 90mm wide.


This did not work at all, I even tried a hair drier but no joy.


The next attempt was the same as the first with a deep curve, although this was total guess work to get enough depth.



I kept the same design and cut.


On a loose try it seemed ok at least better than the first attempt.


I still had a few problems and needed to make a few cuts in areas where the vinyl was starting to bunch but all in all it went around quite well.

I fully masked off and into the cabinet.


I didn't really want any depth just a light etch but still went a little deeper than what I was after.


It was after I blasted that I realised I hadn't put any lovy dovy message on Lynne's glass so back on the computer.


I used the same curve as on the front and stuck this on the back of the glass.


The end results where quite good, I had been etching and carving for a lot of years and never done anything like this before so making something usable makes quite a change.





Very pleased with results, the rub n buff didn't arrive even though I paid extra for quick delivery, I was going to use the gold buff on the Ross glass, may still do.

Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment